1. Don't make work out of it.
A simple, "I enjoyed this book" will be appreciated. Other phrases might be "well written" or "I couldn't put it
down." Many people don't read a long review and some of the shortest reviews can be the most effective.
2. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
Of course, that doesn't mean you can't say you didn't like the book. Just be nice about it. A critical review should be constructive. The writer spent hours, days, months or years writing the book. Be respectful, no matter how bad the book was.
3. It's your opinion.
Someone is going to like the book and someone else isn't going to like it. If you like it, explain why you liked it. If you didn't like it, explain why you didn't like it - keeping #2 in mind. A "bad" review can help the writer improve.
4. Encourage the Author.
A writer will write even if no one reads it, but if they feel that no one appreciates their work, they may stop
publishing. Publishing is time consuming, expensive and stressful. If you enjoyed the book, say something like,
"I'd like to see more from this writer."
5. Recommend the Book.
If you enjoyed the book, recommend it. It can be a short sentence like "I recommend this book for anyone who
loves a good clean romance," or a simple "I highly recommend this book."
Example: "I didn't want this book to end. It made me laugh, cry and think. The plot was believable and the characters realistic. I will be looking for more books from this writer. A great read I would recommend to anyone."
Never review a book unless you have read all of it. If you read a few chapters and didn't find it interesting, don't write a bad review. Some books take a while to set the mood and go on to be great books.
You don't have to buy a book to review it on Amazon, but you do need to have an Amazon account. Writers cannot review their own books, but they can review the books of other writers.
Here is how to submit a review on Amazon:
1. Log into your Amazon Account and search for the book title and author you want to review.
2. Click on the title and go to the page with the book description and opportunity to purchase.
3. Beside the stars is a link that shows how many reviews there are. Click on it.
4. Scroll down and click on the button that says “Write a Customer Review.”
5. How is this author’s writing? (Poor, Okay, Good, Great)
6. Answer all the questions, give it however many stars you think it deserves and then write your review.
7. Click Submit button.